Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Old Enough?

So today was a day for the two older girls to go to the public library in town for the summer reading program. The program lasts from 1-2:30 p.m. I took them to the library and we returned books. I left a bag with them to check out two books each and then instructed them to walk home. The house we are renting is somewhat closer to the library and Madison is very responsible. I figured this way Olivia's nap wouldn't be cut short and Madison could get herself and Laci home. At 3:10 p.m., Mom started to wonder if I had made the right decision in letting her girls walk home by themselves. I decided to call the library to check to see if they were still there. The librarian was more than kind and the girls were still there. I asked her to have them check out their books and send them home if she wouldn't mind. Luckily, the girls were home in about 10 minutes then. Madison just commented that it took them awhile to each pick out their two books to read this week. I told her that Mom was getting worried!

I am learning to let them do more things independently like walking home from the library or going across the street to the park, but it is hard to see them grow up so fast. It also makes me worry a bit that maybe they aren't ready for these responsibilities yet, but most of the time they are just fine and can really do these things without me. Mom just worries and needs to relax sometimes!

No comments: