Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tornadoes

So this was a Memorial Day Weekend that many in the state of Iowa won't soon forget. Parkersburg, which is west of Cedar Falls, got hit really hard by a tornado. A lot of their town is destroyed! The tornado continued on to the east and destroyed many farms and houses on the way past Dunkerton. Many of these houses are north of Dunkerton, so the town didn't get as much damage, but several of these schools didn't have school today. Several people also died and I just can't even imagine what the families are dealing with.

We, in Denver, faired much better. We weren't home Sunday evening when the storms were raging, but I guess there was golf ball size hail coming down. I have seen several bits of insulation and shingles in our yard, but our home is intact and no real damage. I wish I could say that for the others who weren't as fortunate!

It is very sad, but also humbling to see this. So many people are reaching out to help and it is great to see, but in turn, you wish there wasn't a reason for them to be having to reach out! Sometimes, you think that these are just material things as long as your family is okay, but it would also be hard to pick up the pieces and move on.

Many of my students today had a lot to share and comment about the weekend. I am sure they will continue talking about it for the rest of the week since it has affected so many people that are so close to them. Well, I am keeping these people in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping that they can pick up the pieces and move on knowing that God has a plan for us all!

No comments: